|Number of Chapters||300|
|Number of Volumes||32|
|Official Wikia||Shaman King Wiki|
|Genre||Adventure, Action, Supernatural|
Shaman King (シャーマンキング Shāman Kingu) is a shonen manga created by Hiroyuki Takei which was serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump from 1998 to 2004, when it was abruptly cancelled. It has also been adapted into a 64 episode series produced by Xebec which ran on TV Tokyo from 2001-2002.
In the world of Shaman King, people with the ability to communicate and fight with spirits are collectively known as Shamans. The series is centered around Yoh Asakura, a laid-back, easygoing character who is heir to the powerful shamanic Asakura family, as he enters the Shaman Tournament, a semimillennial event that draws shamans from around the world to compete for the chance to become the Shaman King and the wielder of the omnipotent Great Spirit. In the process, Yoh befriends and makes rivals of other characters, and gradually learns of the true nature of the Shaman Tournament, and his connection to Hao, the favourite to win.
In 2001, Shaman King was made into an anime series by Xebec. In total, it ran for 64 episodes before ending, with 3 specials also produced. The anime series, while originally faithful to the manga, eventually deviated from the storyline as the manga was still being serialized. As a result, the later episodes are completely unrelated to the manga, with an separate and definite conclusion created for the series.
Recent Events Edit
While on a tour in France in 2006, Takei announced his intention to finish Shaman King by creating a proper ending for the series. To this end, the Shaman King Kang Zeng Bang, a re-edited reprint of the series with approximately 2 volumes of original content will be released from March 2008 to spring 2009 in conjunction with the serialization of the new chapters in Jump Square.
Main characters Edit
- Yoh Asakura (麻倉 葉, Asakura Yō)
- Anna Kyoyama(恐山アンナ Kyōyama, Anna)
- Manta Oyamada (小山田まん太, Oyamada Manta)
- Ren Tao (道 蓮, Tao Ren)
- Usui Horokeu (碓氷ホロケウ, Horokeu Usui), a.k.a. Horohoro (ホロホロ)
- Ryunosuke Umemiya (梅宮 竜之介 Umemiya Ryūnosuke), a.k.a. "Wooden Sword" Ryu (木刀の 竜 Bokutō no Ryū)
- Chocolove McDonell (チョコラブ・マクダネル)
- Lyserg Diethel (リゼルグ・ダイゼル)
- Faust VIII (ファウストⅧ世, Fausto Hasen)
- Hao Asakura (麻倉葉王, Asakura Hao)
There are several omake based on Shaman King, most of which are centered on various members of the Asakura family. They include:
- Mappa Douji: A one-shot that takes place approximately 1000 years before the start of the series, it reveals Hao's past as he learns the ways of a Shaman.
- Relax: Another one-shot detailing Hao in his third incarnation as he gathers followers in preparation for the next Shaman Tournament.
- Funbari No Uta: An five-part epilogue to Shaman King that takes place 6 years after the Shaman Tournament ends, it follows the adventures of Hana Asakura as he searches for five legendary warriors with Ryu.
- Miki's Life : A two-part side story that occurs approximately 12 years before the start of the series, it recounts the events that surround the first meeting of Yoh's parents.